Home » News » Public Safety
N.Y. man, 30, dies while hiking in White Mountains
Christopher J. Todd, of Rochester, N.Y., was on a group hike up the trail, which starts in Sandwich. According to officials from the Fish and Game Department, he had hiked about four miles with the group to the summit of Mount Whiteface, then, about 5 p.m., he became unable to continue as they descended. Todd stopped and lost consciousness about a mile from the trailhead. His fellow hikers called 911 for help.
Todd's condition deteriorated, so his companions began cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR), according to Fish and Game. They continued CPR until they were relieved by emergency personnel from the Sandwich and Tamworth fire departments, as well as conservation officers.
Emergency treatment continued on the mountain trail. Lifesaving measures were discontinued at 7:09 p.m., when it was determined that the patient had expired. Todd was placed in a litter and transported to the trailhead, reaching there at 8:11 p.m.
Helping during the incident were fire department personnel from Moultonborough, Tuftonboro, and West Ossipee; as well as Stewart's Ambulance Service in Meredith, Carroll County Sheriff's Office Dispatch and the N.H. Department of Safety's Bureau of Emergency Communications.
The cause of death remains unknown, according to officials from Fish and Game.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Check those pool filters for another invasive species - 0
- Lowell apartment house fire claims 7 lives, including three children - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 2
- State Police Marine Patrol IDs Duncan Lake drowning victim - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Craven loves qualifying format - 0
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Revenge? Shea needs none - 0
- Bonner rock'n the hardware - 0
- On Baseball: G'days for Berti boosted his game - 0
- Special Section: Readers' Choice 2014 - 0
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Swamp Bats fall to Pilgrims - 0
Community groups profit from race week
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?