Home » News » Public Safety
N.Y. man, 30, dies while hiking in White Mountains
Christopher J. Todd, of Rochester, N.Y., was on a group hike up the trail, which starts in Sandwich. According to officials from the Fish and Game Department, he had hiked about four miles with the group to the summit of Mount Whiteface, then, about 5 p.m., he became unable to continue as they descended. Todd stopped and lost consciousness about a mile from the trailhead. His fellow hikers called 911 for help.
Todd's condition deteriorated, so his companions began cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR), according to Fish and Game. They continued CPR until they were relieved by emergency personnel from the Sandwich and Tamworth fire departments, as well as conservation officers.
Emergency treatment continued on the mountain trail. Lifesaving measures were discontinued at 7:09 p.m., when it was determined that the patient had expired. Todd was placed in a litter and transported to the trailhead, reaching there at 8:11 p.m.
Helping during the incident were fire department personnel from Moultonborough, Tuftonboro, and West Ossipee; as well as Stewart's Ambulance Service in Meredith, Carroll County Sheriff's Office Dispatch and the N.H. Department of Safety's Bureau of Emergency Communications.
The cause of death remains unknown, according to officials from Fish and Game.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
- Officials: Manchester's crime rate showing sizable decline - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike speed limit headed up from 55 to 65 - 0
- Chemical spill at Nashua North sends 6 to hospital - 0
- Enfield home destroyed by 3-alarm blaze - 0
- State: Range of staffing issues led to 'bad outcomes' at Lakeview NeuroRehabilitation - 0
- Driver loses control, crashes into four vehicles at Hudson auto body shop - 0
- Chester man taken to hospital for mental health evaulation - 1
- Tilton selectman volunteers to be shocked with Taser - 4
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK? - 1
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 7
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 2
- NHIAA Div. I Boys' Basketball Preview: Memorial, Central look to be in the mix again - 0
- Innovations abound at UNH event - 0
- Rinne wins duel with Rask as Predators edge Bruins - 0
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Monarchs head to Portland Wednesday - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Pembroke girls rally to win - 0
Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice
Bush 41, 43 and ... 45?
Another View -- David Scannell: A justified federal civil rights action in Manchester's schools
Taxi fail: City regulations don't work
All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
Police arrest pair after bullets fly