Home » News » Public Safety
N.Y. man, 30, dies while hiking in White Mountains
Christopher J. Todd, of Rochester, N.Y., was on a group hike up the trail, which starts in Sandwich. According to officials from the Fish and Game Department, he had hiked about four miles with the group to the summit of Mount Whiteface, then, about 5 p.m., he became unable to continue as they descended. Todd stopped and lost consciousness about a mile from the trailhead. His fellow hikers called 911 for help.
Todd's condition deteriorated, so his companions began cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR), according to Fish and Game. They continued CPR until they were relieved by emergency personnel from the Sandwich and Tamworth fire departments, as well as conservation officers.
Emergency treatment continued on the mountain trail. Lifesaving measures were discontinued at 7:09 p.m., when it was determined that the patient had expired. Todd was placed in a litter and transported to the trailhead, reaching there at 8:11 p.m.
Helping during the incident were fire department personnel from Moultonborough, Tuftonboro, and West Ossipee; as well as Stewart's Ambulance Service in Meredith, Carroll County Sheriff's Office Dispatch and the N.H. Department of Safety's Bureau of Emergency Communications.
The cause of death remains unknown, according to officials from Fish and Game.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth