Home » News » Public Safety
N.Y. man, 30, dies while hiking in White Mountains
Christopher J. Todd, of Rochester, N.Y., was on a group hike up the trail, which starts in Sandwich. According to officials from the Fish and Game Department, he had hiked about four miles with the group to the summit of Mount Whiteface, then, about 5 p.m., he became unable to continue as they descended. Todd stopped and lost consciousness about a mile from the trailhead. His fellow hikers called 911 for help.
Todd's condition deteriorated, so his companions began cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR), according to Fish and Game. They continued CPR until they were relieved by emergency personnel from the Sandwich and Tamworth fire departments, as well as conservation officers.
Emergency treatment continued on the mountain trail. Lifesaving measures were discontinued at 7:09 p.m., when it was determined that the patient had expired. Todd was placed in a litter and transported to the trailhead, reaching there at 8:11 p.m.
Helping during the incident were fire department personnel from Moultonborough, Tuftonboro, and West Ossipee; as well as Stewart's Ambulance Service in Meredith, Carroll County Sheriff's Office Dispatch and the N.H. Department of Safety's Bureau of Emergency Communications.
The cause of death remains unknown, according to officials from Fish and Game.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 38
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads