Home » News » Public Safety
Fremont selects new police chief
Derry Lt. Jon Twiss will replace the town’s former chief, Neal Janvrin, who was fired from the part-time position last August.
The committee also recommended acting Fremont Police Chief Denny Wood, a Fremont resident and sergeant with the Brentwood Police Department who planned to keep his full-time job in Brentwood and also serve as Fremont chief if appointed.
The appointment comes about a month after selectmen agreed to settle a wrongful termination suit brought by Janvrin after his firing.
They also claimed that Janvrin failed to observe established procedures and protocols and that his judgments and decision making were inconsistent.
Wood, who was the search committee’s No. 1 pick for Janvrin’s replacement followed by Twiss, expressed disappointment in the board’s 2-1 decision but vowed to help the new chief in any way he can.
St. Germain and Selectman Leon Holmes Sr. voted in favor of hiring Twiss while Selectman Brett Hunter voted in opposition.
St. Germain praised Wood for his work at the police department since taking over as interim chief.
Wood said he was asked to step in at a “fairly tumultuous time and there was a lot of stress and a lot of shadow cast on the board of selectmen for their decision to terminate Neal Janvrin.”
Selectmen have not agreed on a salary for Twiss yet but were expected to discuss pay at Thursday night’s board meeting.
“I think he’s going to bring a lot of expertise to the town,” she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 2
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Fire destroys South Hampton barn - 0
- Boy out walking hit, injured by Jeep in Newton - 0
- Police investigating why Maine woman died in Somersworth apartment - 0
- Body found floating in Portsmouth - 0
- Spofford crash seriously injures two - 0
- Fire destroys barn in South Hampton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs yet to flip switch on power play - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: A.J. Pierzynski OK with Red Sox - 0
- Nashua aldermanic committee votes to help soup kitchen - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072