Home » News » Public Safety
Fremont selects new police chief
Derry Lt. Jon Twiss will replace the town’s former chief, Neal Janvrin, who was fired from the part-time position last August.
The committee also recommended acting Fremont Police Chief Denny Wood, a Fremont resident and sergeant with the Brentwood Police Department who planned to keep his full-time job in Brentwood and also serve as Fremont chief if appointed.
The appointment comes about a month after selectmen agreed to settle a wrongful termination suit brought by Janvrin after his firing.
They also claimed that Janvrin failed to observe established procedures and protocols and that his judgments and decision making were inconsistent.
Wood, who was the search committee’s No. 1 pick for Janvrin’s replacement followed by Twiss, expressed disappointment in the board’s 2-1 decision but vowed to help the new chief in any way he can.
St. Germain and Selectman Leon Holmes Sr. voted in favor of hiring Twiss while Selectman Brett Hunter voted in opposition.
St. Germain praised Wood for his work at the police department since taking over as interim chief.
Wood said he was asked to step in at a “fairly tumultuous time and there was a lot of stress and a lot of shadow cast on the board of selectmen for their decision to terminate Neal Janvrin.”
Selectmen have not agreed on a salary for Twiss yet but were expected to discuss pay at Thursday night’s board meeting.
“I think he’s going to bring a lot of expertise to the town,” she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fire damages interior of home on Bypass 28 in Derry - 0
- He helps make the Londonderry police force stronger - 0
- Hampton Beach Fire makes new home official - 0
- Firefighters from 10 towns fight Loudon 3-alarm blaze - 0
- Mass. man rescued from Mt. Haystack in Franconia - 0
- Firefighters from 10 communities fight second 3-alarm fire in one day in Loudon - 0
- UPDATE: Lancaster man, 74, killed in head-on Columbia crash - 0
- UPDATE: Mother, daughter fell from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 0
- Another weekend, another three games for Monarchs - 0
- Another View -- Mark S. MacKenzie: Raising minimum wage would lift NH families out of poverty - 0
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 0
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 0
- Students add their special touch to Christmas - 0
- Chargers edge Manning, Broncos, 27-20 - 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained
Big tipper stops for lunch
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072