Home » News » Public Safety
Fremont selects new police chief
Derry Lt. Jon Twiss will replace the town’s former chief, Neal Janvrin, who was fired from the part-time position last August.
The committee also recommended acting Fremont Police Chief Denny Wood, a Fremont resident and sergeant with the Brentwood Police Department who planned to keep his full-time job in Brentwood and also serve as Fremont chief if appointed.
The appointment comes about a month after selectmen agreed to settle a wrongful termination suit brought by Janvrin after his firing.
They also claimed that Janvrin failed to observe established procedures and protocols and that his judgments and decision making were inconsistent.
Wood, who was the search committee’s No. 1 pick for Janvrin’s replacement followed by Twiss, expressed disappointment in the board’s 2-1 decision but vowed to help the new chief in any way he can.
St. Germain and Selectman Leon Holmes Sr. voted in favor of hiring Twiss while Selectman Brett Hunter voted in opposition.
St. Germain praised Wood for his work at the police department since taking over as interim chief.
Wood said he was asked to step in at a “fairly tumultuous time and there was a lot of stress and a lot of shadow cast on the board of selectmen for their decision to terminate Neal Janvrin.”
Selectmen have not agreed on a salary for Twiss yet but were expected to discuss pay at Thursday night’s board meeting.
“I think he’s going to bring a lot of expertise to the town,” she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man injured in Ohio helicopter crash - 0
- BAE worker suffers electrical shock, injuries not life-threatening - 1
- Tubers lose contact with group, spend night in wooded area - 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 4
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 1
- Two GOP heavyweights try to get NH fired up about 2014 elections - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism