Home » News » Public Safety
Fremont selects new police chief
Derry Lt. Jon Twiss will replace the town’s former chief, Neal Janvrin, who was fired from the part-time position last August.
The committee also recommended acting Fremont Police Chief Denny Wood, a Fremont resident and sergeant with the Brentwood Police Department who planned to keep his full-time job in Brentwood and also serve as Fremont chief if appointed.
The appointment comes about a month after selectmen agreed to settle a wrongful termination suit brought by Janvrin after his firing.
They also claimed that Janvrin failed to observe established procedures and protocols and that his judgments and decision making were inconsistent.
Wood, who was the search committee’s No. 1 pick for Janvrin’s replacement followed by Twiss, expressed disappointment in the board’s 2-1 decision but vowed to help the new chief in any way he can.
St. Germain and Selectman Leon Holmes Sr. voted in favor of hiring Twiss while Selectman Brett Hunter voted in opposition.
St. Germain praised Wood for his work at the police department since taking over as interim chief.
Wood said he was asked to step in at a “fairly tumultuous time and there was a lot of stress and a lot of shadow cast on the board of selectmen for their decision to terminate Neal Janvrin.”
Selectmen have not agreed on a salary for Twiss yet but were expected to discuss pay at Thursday night’s board meeting.
“I think he’s going to bring a lot of expertise to the town,” she said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
- Hampton police searching for missing Mass. woman - 0
- Officials mum on investigation of Lyman infant's death - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Firefighters rescue five 'lucky ducks' in Londonderry - 0
- Abortion clinic buffer put on hold after court ruling - 1
- FairPoint union members to meet and talk strike - 0
- Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses - 0
- Dover man questioned regarding Maine double murder - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax