Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester police, Fisher Cats team up to reward safe drivers
On Thursday, the ticket turned out to be the pleasant kind — the one that gets the holder into a baseball game.
Working in conjunction with police, the New Hampshire Fisher Cats gave away 600 tickets to motorists who were buckled up while driving through downtown.
“I thought there was a roadblock or something,” said Manchester resident John Cunningham after police on Lake Avenue directed him to pull over. He got four tickets — one for every person in his car.
Police Officer Mark Aquino said he frequently tickets drivers when he sees kids not properly buckled or not in child-safety seats.Aquino said the Manchester police invited the Fisher Cats to participate in the effort. A few months ago, the New Hampshire Speedway gave away tickets at the same location.“It’s just something good in the community we do,” said Jenna Raizes, director of marketing and public affairs for the Fisher Cats. “The Manchester Police Department just helps us so much. This just seems like a good initiative.”The ticket giveaway took place at the corner of Lake Avenue and Elm Street. It started about 10 a.m. and went on for about an hour.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 3
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 3
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 2
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 4
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
LNG plant put 'on hold'
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
20140728-Dover patient shocked by $3,766 Wentworth-Douglass charged insurer for tube of cold sore cream
Cabrera, Blue Jays trounce fading Red Sox