Home » News » Public Safety
Brother, can you spare a dime? Hand-painted meters will collect money for the homeless
Organizers of the effort — city Alderman Pat Long, New Horizons head Charlie Sherman, Friends of Manchester Art — were on hand Thursday evening when the artists unveiled the meters in a vacant lot besides New Horizons.
All meters are different.
Manchester resident Colleen O’Connor had black indigenous designs on earth tones like purple and oranges, hues that developed surprisingly when primary colors blended together, she said.
Her fiancee, Paul Davidson, used a yellow background and drew small black stick figures walking up a hill, swimming at a pool or just hanging out.
Each will carry a sticker explaining it is not a parking meter and all the money collected goes to New Horizons.
Long said they meters could go up as early as today. He said the electronic readout will be dismantled, and they have been fitted to accept even pennies.
Sherman said most panhandlers are not homeless, and the money they collect often goes to food or alcohol.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police probe Dover official's fatal car crash - 0
- Fundraiser tonight to benefit injured man - 0
- No cause yet in Woodshed restaurant fire - 0
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- UPDATE: Dover toll plaza appears undamaged after Tuesday crash - 2
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 4
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 5
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072