Manchester Crimewatch: Man objects to bail request made by prosecutor
MANCHESTER — Keith Lewis, 43, of 416 Maple St., objected to the police prosecutor’s request for $10,000 cash/surety bail at his arraignment Thursday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on a second-degree assault charge.
“That is an extremely high bail,” said Lewis, who is accused of putting both hands around his girlfriend’s neck and squeezing until she had trouble breathing.
Court documents show the alleged victim told police that Lewis was angered when she tried to wake him up to go to work. When police located Lewis near Pine and Laurel streets, he told them she called police because she wanted him to go to work at Labor Ready and he didn’t feel like working.
Judge Gregory Michael reduced the bail to $5,000 cash/surety, with conditions barring Lewis from contact with the alleged victim and barring him from her residence. Michael also reminded Lewis that he is under the umbrella of a deferred sentence on an April plea to resisting arrest.
Lewis could enter no plea to the new felony charge in Circuit Court, so a probable cause hearing was set for July 31.
Two burglary charges
Jennifer Duval, 27, of 54 Wilson St., could enter no plea Thursday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division to two felony burglary charges that allege she entered two other Wilson Street residences last month, taking a shirt from one and a bottle of prescription pills from the other.
Duval told Judge Gregory Michael she is unemployed, but when he asked who helps her out, she said: “I get disability.”
Bail was continued at $5,000 personal recognizance, with conditions that include no contact with the woman whose prescription pill bottle Duval is accused of taking and a ban on any consumption of alcohol.
A probable cause hearing on the felonies was set for Aug. 7.
Says his address is jail
A city man charged with two counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault told a Circuit Court-Manchester District Division judge Thursday that his address is the Valley Street Jail.
Edwin Soto, 22, who listed 190 Spruce St. as his address on a bail form, is accused of sexually assaulting a 21-year-old female of his acquaintance June 27 at a Beech Street address.
Soto is under the umbrella of a six-month deferred sentence on a domestic-related criminal mischief plea in March.
Bail was set at $35,000 cash/surety for Soto, who acknowledges convictions for burglary, assault, theft by unauthorized taking, and Driving While Intoxicated. Prosecutors said he also has convictions for resisting arrest, as well as the criminal mischief plea carrying the deferred sentence.
Bail conditions include no contact with the alleged victim. Soto could enter no plea to the felony charges in Circuit Court, so a probable cause hearing was set for July 31.
2 claim residence with sister
Two men from Lawrence, Mass., were arraigned Thursday in Circuit Court-Manchester District Division on charges that resulted from their discovery at the Maple Street skate park just after 1:30 a.m. Thursday,
Both James Mieles, 24, of 11 Tremont St., and Jonathan Vargas, 25, of 340 Water St., told Judge Gregory Michael they are staying at 76 Walsh Ave., with their sister.
Police said both men initially gave false names and they were charged with misdemeanor false report to law enforcement.
Vargas was also charged with unsworn falsification, for giving his name as Justin Felix and giving a false date of birth, and with a violation of park curfew.
Vargas, who has Massachusetts convictions for carrying a dangerous weapon, breaking and entering and assault and battery, claimed not to remember anything about the incident.
“I was highly intoxicated,” he said. His bail was set at $5,000 cash/surety and trial was set for Aug. 26.
Mieles, whose Massachusetts record includes drug, larceny, disorderly conduct and indecent assault convictions, also claimed not to remember what happened at the skate park. Police prosecutor Carrissa Pelletier told the judge: “Alcohol and some other substances were found.”
Mieles faces stiffer charges than Vargas. He was charged with three felonies: possession of a narcotic drug (heroin); falsifying physical evidence, for trying to hide the drug; and escape, for getting out of the transport wagon and trying to flee when officers opened the van to put Vargas in it.
His bail on the Manchester charges was set at $7,500 cash/surety, with a probable cause hearing set for July 31.
Police prosecutors said Mieles had failed to appear in Salem for trial on 2012 charges of disobeying a police officer and operating after suspension. Bail on those charges was set at $500 personal recognizance, with a court date of July 24.
Street crime unit nabs 4
Police officers in the street crime unit made four arrests Wednesday night during a prostitution operation. Police said a conversation with a suspicious female in the area of Merrimack and Lincoln streets led to the woman’s offer to perform a sex act for money. Debra Defabio, 51, of 279 Concord St., was charged with prostitution.
An officer approached another suspicious woman in the area of Merrimack and Maple streets and the woman also allegedly agreed to perform a sex act for money. Michelle Goddard, 35, of 460 Lincoln St., was charged with prostitution.
Later, officers reported seeing a suspicious woman in the area of Merrimack and Lincoln streets enter the passenger seat of a passing SUV and officers followed the vehicle to the area of Beacon and Concord streets, where the SUV parked.
Officers reported the driver entered the back seat of the vehicle and when officers approached, they saw the couple engaged in a sex act inside the vehicle,
Nicole Cangimilla, 30, of 358 Manchester St., and David Brook, 63, of 185 Hoyt St., were charged with indecent exposure.