Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Would-be witness in Bulger mob trial found dead in woods
The body of Stephen "Stippo" Rakes, 59, of Quincy, Mass., had no obvious signs of trauma, according to the Middlesex district attorney's office, and his death is under investigation. The body was discovered Wednesday afternoon.
Rakes, who was to testify on behalf of the prosecution, claimed that a liquor mart he owned became Bulger's after Bulger and his men threatened to kill him.
But Rakes, who was a "constant presence" at the trial for the last six weeks, learned he wouldn't have his chance to rebut in court, according to the Boston Globe. Steve Davis, the brother of alleged Bulger victim Debra Davis, told the Globe that Rakes was told Tuesday that prosecutors did not plan to call him to testify, and that devastated him.
"He said he wanted to get up there and tell his side of the story," Donahue told the Associated Press.
Prosecutors in the trial expected to wrap up their case next week.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Delayed sexual assault trial to start today - 0
- Manchester man charged in series of store robberies - 0
- Fugitive convicted of stabbing Manchester man in heart in ’96 - 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 8
- Manchester woman accused of driving on sidewalk chasing boyfriend - 17
- Vehicle stops in Manchester yield 3 drug arrests - 5
- Pelham had employed finance head charged with embezzlement - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
New Hampshire Senior News Notes
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424