Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Would-be witness in Bulger mob trial found dead in woods
The body of Stephen "Stippo" Rakes, 59, of Quincy, Mass., had no obvious signs of trauma, according to the Middlesex district attorney's office, and his death is under investigation. The body was discovered Wednesday afternoon.
Rakes, who was to testify on behalf of the prosecution, claimed that a liquor mart he owned became Bulger's after Bulger and his men threatened to kill him.
But Rakes, who was a "constant presence" at the trial for the last six weeks, learned he wouldn't have his chance to rebut in court, according to the Boston Globe. Steve Davis, the brother of alleged Bulger victim Debra Davis, told the Globe that Rakes was told Tuesday that prosecutors did not plan to call him to testify, and that devastated him.
"He said he wanted to get up there and tell his side of the story," Donahue told the Associated Press.
Prosecutors in the trial expected to wrap up their case next week.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Roommate convicted of selling heroin out of former Manchester teacher's home - 0
- Senate approves parental rights bill - 0
- Raymond police investigating thefts of cord wood - 0
- Pelham police arrest Mass. man near scene of thefts from cars - 0
- UPDATE: Boscawen police have two men in custody - 0
- Dover man accused of robbing woman at knifepoint - 0
- Man faces many charges following Milford rampage - 0
- Accused New Ipswich bank robber says he shouldn’t be on the streets - 1
- Manchester man accused of violating bail conditions - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Water main break in downtown Nashua - 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Senate passes Medicaid expansion on bipartisan vote - 4
- House kills suicide-related bills - 1
- Staples to shut 225 stores as online competition hurts sales - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- St. A Hawks grounded by the Chargers - 0
- Manchester Memorial’s reign comes to an end - 0
- MTA seeks shift to city’s health plan - 1
House votes for cellphone ban while driving