All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

Epsom couple escape blaze

Union Leader Correspondent

July 17. 2013 11:49AM
Firefighters had to rescue Diane Clark from her second-floor porch and transport her husband to the hospital while battling a two-alarm fire in Epsom Wednesday morning. Benjamin Klein/Union Leader Correspondent 

EPSOM — A two-alarm fire this morning in Epsom forced firefighters to use an engine ladder to rescue a woman from a second-floor porch and left her husband in Concord Hospital with minor burns.

The fire, which Epsom Fire Chief Stewart Yeaton said was started by a cigarette that was smoked by homeowner Richard Clark, started around 8 a.m. Wednesday morning. Clark's wife, Diane, had to be rescued by firefighters from a second-floor porch of the two-story residence after being trapped there. Yeaton said Richard Clark suffered minor injuries. The family dog also escaped the blaze.

The fire occurred at 33 Lantern Lane.

Yeaton said that while the damage to the house on the second floor is extensive, the structure of the house is still sound. Yeaton added the second-alarm call was put out due to the hot weather, hot fire, and lack of access to water.

"We had to shuttle water tankers and fire crews," Yeaton said.

Departments from Pembroke, Allenstown, Concord, Chichester, Northwood, Pittsfield and Loudon also responded to the fire.

Public Safety Human Interest General News Epsom

More Headlines