Jonah Goldberg: Obama's dumb 'smart government'
Alas, this momentary flash of consensus disappears before our eyes like a shooting star the moment we ask a related but very different question: Is it smart for the government to do X in the first place? For instance: I think it's a dumb idea to tickle a grizzly bear cub while it's napping on its mother's belly. But if I'm given no choice but to do it, I'll eagerly inquire about what's the smartest way to do a very dumb thing. And if I'm told there is no smart way to do such a dumb thing (which I assume is true), I'll at least ask for tips on the least dumb way to do it.
This is among the President's favorite formulations, and it gets to the heart of the problem. The government is not "us." The government is — or is supposed to be — a collection of agencies that do things taxpayers and voters want done. In short, it is a tool.
Jonah Goldberg is the author of "The Tyranny of Cliches," now on sale in paperback. You can write to him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or via Twitter @JonahNRO.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: The story of Manchester's Women's Aid and Relief Society - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: Manchester's Clarke family helped bring aid to the destitute - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: Mayor William Clarke and his hunting dogs - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: Manchester revels in Semi-Centennial Celebration of 1896 - 0
- William and Arthur Clarke carry on at Manchester's Daily Mirror - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: John B. Clarke's legacy lived on in print - 0
- Aurore Eaton's Looking Back: John B. Clarke leads the good life - 0
- Looking Back with Aurore Eaton: John B. Clarke's grit built a publishing empire - 0
- Looking Back with Auore Eaton: The Manchester 'forty-niners' seek their fortunes in California - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus