Young Rescuers, some from NH, visiting Belarus for two-week rally
July 14. 2013 9:21PM
MANCHESTER — Potential firefighters and rescue workers are expected to be in a former Soviet republic today to participate in an international rally of young people interested in rescue work.
Five New Hampshire teens and two youths from North Carolina will represent the Manchester-based Young Rescuers USA at the International Rally of Young Rescuers and Firefighters, the Manchester organization announced.
The International Rally of Young Rescuers and Firefighters is slated to run from July 15 to 27 in Belarus, a country that was once a Soviet republic. The country’s Ministry for Emergency Situations is hosting the event.
“Our young rescuers learn and compete in basic life safety exercises, enjoy excursions to cultural, scenic and historic sites throughout Belarus, and make lasting international friendships, all to the benefit of the United States,” said Manchester lawyer George Bruno, the program’s founder and former U.S. ambassador.
The team is trained by Lt. Leo Roy of Manchester Fire Department and Roman Bastek of the Concord Fire Department. They provide valuable training on first aid, firefighting and rescue skills.
Bastek will travel with the team, along with Young Rescuers USA President David Tille of Concord and Karen Wiskow of Indian Trail, N.C.
“We are very proud of our Young Rescuers USA 2013 team. They have worked very hard for this international competition and will serve as great representatives of the USA in Belarus,” Tille said.
The team members are:
• Holly Antoine, 15, is an incoming sophomore at Pinkerton Academy.
• Anne Duffley, 16, is an incoming senior at Liberty Harbor Academy in Manchester.
• Connor Martin, 16, is an incoming junior at Merrimack High School.
• Collin Mulligan, 15, is an incoming sophomore at Alvirne High School in Hudson.
• Austyn Shea, 17, is an incoming senior at Concord High School.
• Jordan Wiskow, 12, is an incoming seventh-grader at Porter Ridge Middle School, Indian Trail, N.C.
• Zachary Wiskow, 14, is an incoming freshman at Porter Ridge High School in Indian Trail.
For more information, visit www.youngrescuersusa.com.