Deerfly remedies help keep pesky NH insects from biting
It may not be fashionable, but a blue plastic cup covered with Tanglefoot and attached to a ball cap can attract and trap deerflies. (NANCY BEAN FOSTER PHOTO)
The many varieties of deerfly found in New Hampshire are a mid-summer pest that are hard to avoid. (COURTESY)
Aside from staying indoors, people can avoid bites from the flies by covering up and wearing long sleeves and pants, denying the bugs a place to eat. But on sweltering days it can be a toss-up as to whether melting or getting eaten is worse.
Twenty years ago, Dale Stieg, a Christmas tree farmer in Michigan, said the deerflies became too much for him to bear while out tending his trees so he started observing their behavior and thinking of a way to get back at them. He invented a double-stick deerfly patch that adheres to the back of a baseball cap.
After a day outdoors, the patch, and its collection of dead flies, can be peeled off and discarded.
For those who aren't slaves to fashion, there's a home-made deerfly trap that works on the same principle as the patches, but includes a ball cap, a blue plastic cup, a pair of safety pins or paper clips and a tub of sticky stuff called Tanglefoot.
"I've never found anything that works better," Witty said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- ‘Bow Wow Bedford’ to offer micro-chipping, rabies shots - 0
- Senior housing project's wetlands request is tabled - 0
- Salem ready to do battle with emerald ash borer - 0
- Hudson band mom ready for another Boston Marathon - 0
- Fish and Game: Skimming across water illegal, and bad idea - 0
- Souhegan High grad still on stage as one of American Idol’s’ top 11 - 0
- When help seems far away, Errol Rescue Squad founder, award winner, is close by - 0
- Merging modern tastes, historic homes can take an expert's help - 0
- Showcasing traditional arts at the NH Old House & Barn Expo - 0
Win tickets to see Jillian Michaels
Win tickets to see Rusted Root & The Wailers
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus