Home » News » Business » 40 Under Forty
Deerfly remedies help keep pesky NH insects from biting
It may not be fashionable, but a blue plastic cup covered with Tanglefoot and attached to a ball cap can attract and trap deerflies. (NANCY BEAN FOSTER PHOTO)
The many varieties of deerfly found in New Hampshire are a mid-summer pest that are hard to avoid. (COURTESY)
Aside from staying indoors, people can avoid bites from the flies by covering up and wearing long sleeves and pants, denying the bugs a place to eat. But on sweltering days it can be a toss-up as to whether melting or getting eaten is worse.
Twenty years ago, Dale Stieg, a Christmas tree farmer in Michigan, said the deerflies became too much for him to bear while out tending his trees so he started observing their behavior and thinking of a way to get back at them. He invented a double-stick deerfly patch that adheres to the back of a baseball cap.
After a day outdoors, the patch, and its collection of dead flies, can be peeled off and discarded.
For those who aren't slaves to fashion, there's a home-made deerfly trap that works on the same principle as the patches, but includes a ball cap, a blue plastic cup, a pair of safety pins or paper clips and a tub of sticky stuff called Tanglefoot.
"I've never found anything that works better," Witty said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tasting Notes with Jim Beauregard: Turkey Day wines and a resource for brewers - 0
- Hopkinton vigil sheds a light on bullying - 0
- Goffstown taking aim at invasive species - 0
- Patriots and Eastern Bank team up for kids - 0
- First graders enjoy early Thanksgiving feast - 0
- Dover to hold 29th annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony - 0
- New Horizons breakfast raises $172,678 for homeless, needy - 0
- Manchester Christmas Parade steps off Dec. 6 - 0
- Giving thanks for a bountiful meal - 0
Flying in for some homestyle cooking
Win tickets to see the Amazing Nano Brothers
Goffstown taking aim at invasive species
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection