Deerfly remedies help keep pesky NH insects from biting
It may not be fashionable, but a blue plastic cup covered with Tanglefoot and attached to a ball cap can attract and trap deerflies. (NANCY BEAN FOSTER PHOTO)
The many varieties of deerfly found in New Hampshire are a mid-summer pest that are hard to avoid. (COURTESY)
Aside from staying indoors, people can avoid bites from the flies by covering up and wearing long sleeves and pants, denying the bugs a place to eat. But on sweltering days it can be a toss-up as to whether melting or getting eaten is worse.
Twenty years ago, Dale Stieg, a Christmas tree farmer in Michigan, said the deerflies became too much for him to bear while out tending his trees so he started observing their behavior and thinking of a way to get back at them. He invented a double-stick deerfly patch that adheres to the back of a baseball cap.
After a day outdoors, the patch, and its collection of dead flies, can be peeled off and discarded.
For those who aren't slaves to fashion, there's a home-made deerfly trap that works on the same principle as the patches, but includes a ball cap, a blue plastic cup, a pair of safety pins or paper clips and a tub of sticky stuff called Tanglefoot.
"I've never found anything that works better," Witty said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Longtime Goffstown resident remembered for his service - 0
- Great-granddaughter's effort gets late Colebrook chief on memorial - 0
- Souhegan Valley Chamber party will benefit Chaplain’s Emergency Relief Fund in Milford - 0
- New president named for memorial fund named after Greenland Chief Michael Maloney - 0
- Our Gourmet: A taste of Japan, just off Interstate 93 - 0
- Jim Beauregard's Tasting Notes: Two ciders worth raising in a toast - 0
- Former NH resident Aliy Zirkle takes second in Iditarod after losing lead - 0
- Building on Hope provides boost for Amherst nonprofit - 0
- ‘Bow Wow Bedford’ to offer micro-chipping, rabies shots - 0
2014-2015 Wildlife Rule Hearings Set
Search for the Shamrock
In loving defense of the humble, comfy clog
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'