Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Griffin, A's blank Red Sox, 3-0
Derek Norris homered and Yoenis Cespedes and Coco Crisp had RBI singles for the Athletics, who defeated the Red Sox at home for the seventh time in the last eight meetings.
Griffin (8-6) yielded six hits and a walk while striking out three.
He left runners in scoring position in the first, third, fourth and sixth innings before retiring the last seven men he faced and turning it over to Grant Balfour, who converted his 25th save and 43rd in a row dating back to 2012.
Lester (8-6) matched zeroes with Griffin until serving up the home run to Norris with two outs in the fifth.
The lefty was charged with three runs in 6 1/3 innings, recording just his third quality start in his last eight outings.
Cespedes followed a walk and a single in the sixth with his run-scoring hit and Crisp greeted Junichi Tazawa with a bloop to right field in the seventh to make it 3-0.
Josh Reddick had two hits and scored on Crisp's single.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The Red Sox officially added LHP Matt Thornton to the active roster and optioned RHP Steven Wright to Triple-A Pawtucket. Thornton was acquired in a trade with the Chicago White Sox on Friday. ... Oakland ended its first two-game slide since June 22-23. It has not dropped more than two in a row since a five-gamer May 6-10.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Parents share what makes Abigail a special girl - 1
- Abigail's mother speaks of hope on ABC's Good Morning America - 0
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos