Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Griffin, A's blank Red Sox, 3-0
Derek Norris homered and Yoenis Cespedes and Coco Crisp had RBI singles for the Athletics, who defeated the Red Sox at home for the seventh time in the last eight meetings.
Griffin (8-6) yielded six hits and a walk while striking out three.
He left runners in scoring position in the first, third, fourth and sixth innings before retiring the last seven men he faced and turning it over to Grant Balfour, who converted his 25th save and 43rd in a row dating back to 2012.
Lester (8-6) matched zeroes with Griffin until serving up the home run to Norris with two outs in the fifth.
The lefty was charged with three runs in 6 1/3 innings, recording just his third quality start in his last eight outings.
Cespedes followed a walk and a single in the sixth with his run-scoring hit and Crisp greeted Junichi Tazawa with a bloop to right field in the seventh to make it 3-0.
Josh Reddick had two hits and scored on Crisp's single.
GAME NOTEBOOK: The Red Sox officially added LHP Matt Thornton to the active roster and optioned RHP Steven Wright to Triple-A Pawtucket. Thornton was acquired in a trade with the Chicago White Sox on Friday. ... Oakland ended its first two-game slide since June 22-23. It has not dropped more than two in a row since a five-gamer May 6-10.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council