Another View -- Charles Lane: Detroit's Greek tragedy
It's true. Greece has much more public debt than does the United States, relative to economic output. Unlike Greece's euro-denominated obligations, U.S. debt is in U.S. dollars. The U.S. economy is far more competitive than Greece's tourism-and-tomatoes operation.
Couched in the workmanlike prose of a bankruptcy lawyer - which is what Orr is - the document nevertheless tells a harrowing story of institutional rot and social collapse, brought on by decades of government of, by and for special-interest groups.
Small wonder that, per the report, the effectiveness of Detroit's police force is "extremely low" and the city's rate of violent crime is five times the national average; or that the average fire station is 80 years old; or that the number of city parks has dwindled from 317 to 107 in the past half-decade.
All of the above contributed to the depopulation of the city, which went from 1.9 million residents in 1950 to 700,000 now - a minority of whom earns enough to pay taxes.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 5
- Ted Gatsas and Bob Baines: STEAM Ahead will transform students' lives in Manchester - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: No, Obamacare is not remotely close to fixed - 2
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 1
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list