Race fans honor Boston bombing victims
But NASCAR fans were donning them left and right.
"Of course," said Donna Beychuck of Saratoga, N.Y., having just purchased a shirt on her way to afternoon races at the track.
"Twenty dollars isn't much to give, considering," said Bill English of Fayetteville, N.C.The shirts were available throughout the Camping World RV Sales 301 weekend, with part of the proceeds going to One Fund Boston, supporting victims of the Boston Marathon bombings.
In addition, more than free 2,250 tickets were given to first responders in the Newtown, Conn., school shootings last December, to first responders to the Boston tragedy and to families of the victims, said Gavin Faretra of NHMS.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was arraigned last week. Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed during a shootout after the attack.
Track officials weren't sure how many shirts had been brought to the track for the weekend - "thousands, at least," Faretra said - because the shirts were donated by sponsors.
"It means a lot for New Hampshire Motor Speedway to honor first responders," said Andrew Collier. "My family continues to be blown away by how truly amazing the NASCAR community is. This is another example of that."
"We're very pleased that (the speedway) has chosen to honor anyone who had to respond to what happened in Boston that day, which was horrifying," said Capt. Scott Hammond, a Boston Marathon bombings responder himself.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.