Rob Burbank's Outdoors with the AMC: NH nongame wildlife program marks quarter-century
The program provides management support for species not fished, hunted or trapped, and it is credited with restoring dwindling populations of such species as New Hampshire's State Butterfly, the Karner Blue, in Concord, and sea birds inhabiting the Isles of Shoals.
The program has also engaged volunteers in monitoring dragonfly distribution and reptile and amphibian populations across the state. Findings, in particular rare species verification, are added to a long-term database. That information is used to help inform land management decisions.
"In the mid-1980s, a crisis was emerging for New Hampshire's threatened and endangered birds, mammals and fish. Wildlife habitat was exposed to enormous pressure from development and recreational activities. Populations were dwindling. Species were disappearing," explained John Kanter, program coordinator, in a news release.
Speaking of anniversaries, the Appalachian Mountain Club is celebrating the 125th anniversary of its White Mountains hut system this year. Fashioned after the alpine huts of Europe, these trailside hostelries offer mountain hospitality, meals, lodging and educational programs in spectacular mountain settings.
The easternmost AMC hut, Carter Notch Hut, was recently recognized in the Best Adventure category of New Hampshire Magazine's Best of NH awards.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- The Zombies' Colin Blunstone Plays Tupelo Music Hall on May 8 - 0
- Learn about Kayak Fishing at Free Outdoor Adventure Talk April 23 - 0
- Hooksett plans transfer station open house, cleanup for Earth Day - 0
- Cheryl Kimball's Nature Talks: Time to open the windows and let sounds of nature in - 0
- ‘Idol’ talk in NH as Mont Vernon's Alex Preston in final 6 - 1
- Hooksett board wants to hear from residents on failed Pinkerton deal - 0
- Mt. Washington warning: Spring a time of danger - 0
- Bedford police will collect old, unused and unwanted drugs - 0
- Ashland Community Garden ribbon-cutting set for Saturday - 0
NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014
Win tickets to see Comedian Mike Birbiglia!
Win tickets to see The Monkees!
In loving defense of the humble, comfy clog
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition
Sen. Odell won't seek re-election