Rob Burbank's Outdoors with the AMC: NH nongame wildlife program marks quarter-century
The program provides management support for species not fished, hunted or trapped, and it is credited with restoring dwindling populations of such species as New Hampshire's State Butterfly, the Karner Blue, in Concord, and sea birds inhabiting the Isles of Shoals.
The program has also engaged volunteers in monitoring dragonfly distribution and reptile and amphibian populations across the state. Findings, in particular rare species verification, are added to a long-term database. That information is used to help inform land management decisions.
"In the mid-1980s, a crisis was emerging for New Hampshire's threatened and endangered birds, mammals and fish. Wildlife habitat was exposed to enormous pressure from development and recreational activities. Populations were dwindling. Species were disappearing," explained John Kanter, program coordinator, in a news release.
Speaking of anniversaries, the Appalachian Mountain Club is celebrating the 125th anniversary of its White Mountains hut system this year. Fashioned after the alpine huts of Europe, these trailside hostelries offer mountain hospitality, meals, lodging and educational programs in spectacular mountain settings.
The easternmost AMC hut, Carter Notch Hut, was recently recognized in the Best Adventure category of New Hampshire Magazine's Best of NH awards.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford Bison NH baseball 38+ champs for 2014 - 0
- NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert for Aug. 26 - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Orioles, catbirds, robins line up for grape jelly - 0
- Bedford man accused of sexually assaulting 2 children - 0
- Londonderry firefighters on mission to make sure children won’t be cold - 0
- Salem considers legal action over damaged school gym floor at Lancaster Elementary - 0
- Great NH Restaurants to expand its charitable efforts with FEEDNH.org - 0
- Win tickets to see Steven Wright - 0
- Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test