Rob Burbank's Outdoors with the AMC: NH nongame wildlife program marks quarter-century
The program provides management support for species not fished, hunted or trapped, and it is credited with restoring dwindling populations of such species as New Hampshire's State Butterfly, the Karner Blue, in Concord, and sea birds inhabiting the Isles of Shoals.
The program has also engaged volunteers in monitoring dragonfly distribution and reptile and amphibian populations across the state. Findings, in particular rare species verification, are added to a long-term database. That information is used to help inform land management decisions.
"In the mid-1980s, a crisis was emerging for New Hampshire's threatened and endangered birds, mammals and fish. Wildlife habitat was exposed to enormous pressure from development and recreational activities. Populations were dwindling. Species were disappearing," explained John Kanter, program coordinator, in a news release.
Speaking of anniversaries, the Appalachian Mountain Club is celebrating the 125th anniversary of its White Mountains hut system this year. Fashioned after the alpine huts of Europe, these trailside hostelries offer mountain hospitality, meals, lodging and educational programs in spectacular mountain settings.
The easternmost AMC hut, Carter Notch Hut, was recently recognized in the Best Adventure category of New Hampshire Magazine's Best of NH awards.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Hampshire events starting on July 13 - 0
- Family center in Nashua offers workshop, play date - 0
- Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain - 1
- Despite late start in growing season, North Country's blueberry picking season soon to be here - 0
- Cormac Ashe Toland born in June in Manchester - 0
- July 4th fireworks a reminder of need to protect dogs from noise - 0
- Locals, big names alike praise NH Seacoast's wave culture - 0
- 2 from NH graduate from Air Force training - 0
- Engagement of Currier-Williams - 0
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Despite late start in growing season, North Country's blueberry picking season soon to be here
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms