Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Daugherty's fast break to NASCAR
No coin flip was required when Daugherty got to the National Basketball Association as a center and the No. 1 pick out of North Carolina in 1986.
It turned out better than good.
He wore the No. 43 proudly through five All Star seasons and a highly productive career shortened by back problems and that, in the end, was how a number honoring NASCAR legend Richard Petty came to be retired by the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers.
"If you're going to win a championship, you have to beat them," he said. "Period."
Daugherty wants to move up.
"We're realistic about our expectations," he said. "We just don't think we're living up to expectations."
He and longtime buddy and driver Robert Pressley put together a late model team in 1987 and later moved it up to the Nationwide Series.
"We sent Larry packing," he said with a laugh.
He and the Cavaliers closed out Bird's season and career in the Eastern Conference semifinals in 1992.
That catches some people off guard, he said.
"When you do something and have some notoriety with it, a lot of people want to put you in a little box and if you do something outside that box, it's a problem," he said. "I find it pretty funny. I'm an NBA All Star and in NASCAR and sometimes people say, 'What in the world are you doing?' But I love racing. I grew up racing."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 10
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans