Martel, Rivard advance to State Am final
Rivard, who plays out of Candia Woods, moved on by beating Portsmouth Country Club’s Craig Steckowych 2 and 1 in the semifinals. Steckowych won this event in 1990 and 1998.
Rivard, 34, is a Manchester Memorial graduate who played college golf at Southern New Hampshire University. He played professional golf for six years, but regained his amateur status last year. He defeated Manchester Country Club’s Ryan Toombs 3 and 2 in Friday morning’s quarterfinals.
Rivard said he loves playing at The Golf Club of New England. “It fits my game because I hit it far — and I’ve been hitting it straight,” he said. “The advantage of length in match play is you’re always hitting it second into the green. You get a chance to see what your opponent does and you can react off of what they’re doing.”
It was an impressive day for Martel, who beat Brett Wilson 2 and 1 on Wilson’s home course Friday morning. Wilson, a Dover resident, won this year’s Seacoast Amateur. He was 3-up on Martel after three holes.
This is the second time Rivard has advanced to the State Am finals. He lost to Concord Country Club’s Bob Mielcarz in the 2000 championship at Bretwood Golf Course in Keene.
State Am Results
Chris Rivard (Candia Woods) def. Ryan Tombs (Manchester CC) 3 and 2; Craig Steckoych (Portsmouth CC) def. Chase Dembisky (Souhegan Woods) 1-up; Mike Martel (Crotched Mountain) def. Brett Wilson (Golf Club of New England) 2 and 1; Joe Leavitt (Atkinson CC) def. Mike Mahan (The Oaks) 5 and 4.
Martel def. Leavitt 6 and 5; Rivard def. Steckowych 2 and 1.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson poised to win sixth Sprint Cup crown - 0
- Hamlin on pole for Sunday's Goody's 500 at Martinsville - 0
- Truck Series will return to Loudon Sept. 20 - 0
- McMurray winsat Talladega.; Jimmie Johnson takes Chase lead - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Ford Fall Brawl has plenty of big names - 0
- NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning - 2
- Brad Keselowski outduels Kasey Kahne to return to victory lane - 0
- Harvick takes Kansas; Kenseth’s Nascar Sprint Cup lead dented - 0
- Pines Speedway Reunion set in Groveland, Mass. - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'