Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Carpenter set for rehab start
After throwing 56 pitches to three Cardinals batters Wednesday and generally impressing everyone who saw him - including his toughest critic, himself - the New Hampshire native and Trinity High of Manchester, N.H., graduate will begin what could be as long as a 30-day medical rehabilitation option when he starts for the Cardinals' Class AA club in a Texas League game against Arkansas.
Matheny said Carpenter would be targeted to throw 60-some pitches in his first taste of competition since he lasted just four innings in Game 6 at San Francisco of the National League Championship Series last year.
Robinson, who had faced the right-hander once before this season in an aborted comeback bid, said Carpenter was "very impressive. After my first two at-bats, I had to turn it up a notch. If I'm in a game and I'm facing him three times, he probably would have won the battle today. He's just fine-tuning his stuff right now. When he's done, it's going to be fun to watch.
"There's definitely some excitement about starting the process to get back," said Carpenter, who also has been waylaid a couple of times this year by lower back issues.
Carpenter said. "I've got to prove I can stay healthy and prove I'm good enough to take one of these guys' spots (in the rotation) because what I've done in the past doesn't mean I get an opportunity to kick someone out of here when we're doing so well."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson poised to win sixth Sprint Cup crown - 0
- Hamlin on pole for Sunday's Goody's 500 at Martinsville - 0
- Truck Series will return to Loudon Sept. 20 - 0
- McMurray winsat Talladega.; Jimmie Johnson takes Chase lead - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Ford Fall Brawl has plenty of big names - 0
- NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning - 2
- Brad Keselowski outduels Kasey Kahne to return to victory lane - 0
- Harvick takes Kansas; Kenseth’s Nascar Sprint Cup lead dented - 0
- Pines Speedway Reunion set in Groveland, Mass. - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- UPDATE: Convicted sex offender turns himself in - 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 2
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Key NH Dems attend Lantos Foundation event honoring Clinton, White House partiesREADER COMMENTS: 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
Anderson lewdness trial is delayed