Collins' two homers help Bedford topple North LL
Bedford will host undefeated Salem at 1 p.m. today in the finals. A Bedford win would force a winner-take-all game on Monday.
"He had a big day," said Bedford coach Tom Destafani. "I think getting in front early was big. We knew they had good pitching."
Collins then gave way to reliever Evan Schwartz, who quickly got two outs, but Nate Goonan hit a line drive home run to left to make it an 8-6 game.
"These kids pretty much always believe. No matter who was out there, they were all supportive," said North coach Matt Pellerin of his team's comeback effort. "They worked hard. It didn't matter, win or lose."
It could have been a big inning for North, but a double play erased two baserunners.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Police say man kept suspect at gunpoint in Nashua hospital parking lot - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
- Shaheen, Ayotte on opposite sides of procedural vote on budget compromise - 3
- Snow slows NH rush hour; cancels many evening events - 1
- Loan company and its officials accused of operating illegally in NH - 3
- Two robberies within 45 minutes in Manchester - 2
- NH ranks first in controlling infectious disease, according to report - 1
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Knife-wielding robbers target two stores in Manchester - 2
Plaistow lawyer indicted in fatal boat crash
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos