All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Boston Marathon Bombing

In NH, no wish to be at trial of accused Boston Marathon bomber

New Hampshire Union Leader

July 11. 2013 10:25PM

Martha Galvis, left, and her husband, Alvaro, right, enjoy a visit from their neighbor while Martha, who is now home, was in the hospital recuperating from injuries she sustained in the Boston Marathon Bombing. (Courtesy)

Boston Marathon bombing victim Alvaro Galvis said he doesn't want to attend the trial of suspected bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnev, but a piece of shrapnel pulled from the Nashua man's leg might be introduced as evidence.

Galvis, whose wife was severely injured, said a 2.5-by-1.5-inch "piece of a pressure cooker, the bomb itself" was removed from his right leg and given to authorities.

"That's going to be used against this guy as far as the evidence," Galvis said Thursday.

Neither he nor his wife, Martha, attended Wednesday's court proceedings in Boston when Tsarnev pleaded not guilty to killing three people and injuring about 265 others by setting off homemade bombs. Prosecutors say Tsarnev and his brother, Tamerlan, placed backpacks containing pressure-cookers filled with explosives, nails and ball bearings among the spectators near the race's finish line April 15.

"We're marked for life," Mr. Galvis said. "We don't want to do nothing with this guy."

He was picking up his wife from Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston on Wednesday following her 10th surgery. The marathon blast shattered her hand and damaged her leg.

Bombing victim Denise Spenard of Manchester said she hasn't been following the criminal case and has no plans to attend the trial.

"I don't even care. I just moved on," she said. "Justice will be served."

Spenard said she had a piece of shrapnel removed at Manchester's Elliot Hospital the Friday after the bombing. "I had the pressure cooker in my abdomen," she said, estimating the piece — taken as evidence by authorities — to be about the size of a nickel. "The FBI took my clothes that night (right after the bombing) as evidence."

She calls herself "lucky" compared to so many others who suffered more serious injuries.

Spenard said her left arm, injured in the explosion, still aches during long runs. Talk of someone turning the bombing into a movie "is making me sick to my stomach," she said.

Nurses come to the Galvis home to help care for Mrs. Galvis, who had to learn to walk again.

"She is walking with a cane now, but not long distances," said Mr. Galvis, who is undergoing physical therapy. When his wife goes to the mall, she can only walk 30 or 40 feet before resting.

He said the couple is going through "a big wheel of emotions" that is "slowly turning and then you have your ups and downs."

He said he is filled with "a lot of resentment. Not being able to understand the reasons behind it. .. I'm having difficulty understanding the why, why, why."

The New York Times reported Thursday that the older Tsarnev brother might have been involved in a triple murder in Waltham, Mass., in 2011. Some quoted in the article wondered whether police might have missed a chance to avert the marathon bombing.

"That doesn't change the fact it's done," Mr. Galvis said. "It happened, so we have to deal with today. We can't go back. We can't change nothing."

Crime, law and justice Politics Manchester Nashua Top Section Stories

More Headlines

Pack Boots races to help Veterans Count