Lamprey River Elementary addition not in mix for 2014
Board members spent nearly two hours discussing whether to go ahead with a reduced project that would have added classrooms to replace the portable units that house about 10 classrooms.
They paid Bonnette, Page and Stone of Laconia about $25,000 to develop a conceptual design for renovating and adding onto the school, before learning a town ordinance regarding the Lamprey River floodplain would make any project there difficult, if not impossible.
And then the state Legislature voted in a new biennial budget last month that does not include any funding for school building aid, leading the committee to scale back plans to only address the classroom needs of the school in the hope that local taxpayers would agree to pay the bill.
Board members voted down a motion to move forward with the bond by a vote of 2-2-1, with Stephen Reardon abstaining.
“What is challenging me and I think some of the other board members is we just don’t feel we have the necessary information to vote up or down on a bond tonight,” Reardon said.
It is unclear what happens now.
Building committee chairman Alec O’Meara said if the board is no longer interested in a long-term solution, then the committee’s charge is no longer valid.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much? - 8
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 13
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain