NH soldiers' stories
Gilsum woman tells story of NH's World War II fighting men buried abroad
Aimee Fogg’s journey to discover what happened to her uncle who perished while fighting in Europe during World War II became a mission to tell the stories of all of New Hampshire’s men who are buried at the Henri-Chapelle cemetery in Belgium. Those stories are captured in Fogg’s new book, "The Granite Men of Henri-Chapelle."
Fogg, the mother of two, began researching the fate of her uncle, Paul Lavoie of Nashua, in 2009. Though she knew she had an uncle who fought and died during the war, she wanted to know more about him, where he served, and how he died.
Her search revealed that Lavoie was buried in the Henri-Chapelle American Military Cemetery but that wasn't enough information for Fogg, so she enlisted the assistance of a World War II veteran and traveled to Europe to retrace her uncle's steps.
But while she was at a Memorial Day service at the cemetery, she realized she wanted to tell the story of all the New Hampshire men who were buried there.
She amassed photographs and biographies, anecdotes and memories of the fallen men and put them together in her book.
The New Hampshire men buried at the Henri-Chapelle cemetery include Edward W. Allord, Kenneth E. Ames, Dayton D. Atwood, Clifford L. Bartlett, Adrien J. Beliveau, Thomas F. Bresnahan, Thomas H. Burns, Theren C. Cox, William T. Dierauer, Edmond J. Dionne, Robert E. Dugan, Henry J. Dziepak, Charles L. Fleury, John M. Foster, Adrien A. Gamache, David J.W. Gilbert, Peter E. Gregoire, Arthur A. Hamel, Albert A. Harris, Clyde E. Kimball, George H. L'Heureux, Francis T. LaFlamme, Francis E. Larrivee, Paul M. Lavoie, Conrad E. Lefebvre, Glenn M. Lowe Jr., Kenneth P. McDowell, Russell B. McGirr, Cecil A. Merrifield, Carl B. Morris, Arnold Murphy, Omer W. Nadeau, Robert A. Ouellette, Daniel C. Payson, Roland A. Remick, Antonio C. Remillard, Herbert L. Smith, Lawrence Susynski, Fred Trombley and Everett M. Wiggin.
Fogg said she has been asked to write a similar volume about the lives of the men from Vermont who are buried at Henri-Chapelle, and she's already begun her research.
Fogg's book can be found at Amazon.com and other online retailers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Footwear drive to help Liberty House - 0
- Whitefield event honors Vietnam vets - 0
- Vietnam veterans remembered 50 years later in Londonderry - 0
- Post 27 events - 0
- NH soldiers share family bond — and Purple Hearts - 0
- Bill Luti: Situation in Ukraine stirs memories of events before World War II - 0
- New Hampshire Veterans News Briefs - 0
- Legal affairs focus of April 4 session for NH veterans - 0
- Medals for father who served in Navy in both World Wars - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Boston marks anniversary of bombing with somber ceremonies - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 0
- Rochester man arrested after crash in Somersworth - 0
- Dover man accused of trying to sexually assault a girl - 0
- Top Manchester school officials no longer must live in city - 7
- Vote: ‘No nit’ policy relaxed for Manchester schools - 1
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat Hopefully, this too shall pass - 0
- Poll: More than 25% haven't heard of Northern Pass; mixed attitudes for others - 8
License revocations for DWI announced
Berlin BioPower plant coming up to speed
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers