NH soldiers' stories
Gilsum woman tells story of NH's World War II fighting men buried abroad
Aimee Fogg’s journey to discover what happened to her uncle who perished while fighting in Europe during World War II became a mission to tell the stories of all of New Hampshire’s men who are buried at the Henri-Chapelle cemetery in Belgium. Those stories are captured in Fogg’s new book, "The Granite Men of Henri-Chapelle."
Fogg, the mother of two, began researching the fate of her uncle, Paul Lavoie of Nashua, in 2009. Though she knew she had an uncle who fought and died during the war, she wanted to know more about him, where he served, and how he died.
Her search revealed that Lavoie was buried in the Henri-Chapelle American Military Cemetery but that wasn't enough information for Fogg, so she enlisted the assistance of a World War II veteran and traveled to Europe to retrace her uncle's steps.
But while she was at a Memorial Day service at the cemetery, she realized she wanted to tell the story of all the New Hampshire men who were buried there.
She amassed photographs and biographies, anecdotes and memories of the fallen men and put them together in her book.
The New Hampshire men buried at the Henri-Chapelle cemetery include Edward W. Allord, Kenneth E. Ames, Dayton D. Atwood, Clifford L. Bartlett, Adrien J. Beliveau, Thomas F. Bresnahan, Thomas H. Burns, Theren C. Cox, William T. Dierauer, Edmond J. Dionne, Robert E. Dugan, Henry J. Dziepak, Charles L. Fleury, John M. Foster, Adrien A. Gamache, David J.W. Gilbert, Peter E. Gregoire, Arthur A. Hamel, Albert A. Harris, Clyde E. Kimball, George H. L'Heureux, Francis T. LaFlamme, Francis E. Larrivee, Paul M. Lavoie, Conrad E. Lefebvre, Glenn M. Lowe Jr., Kenneth P. McDowell, Russell B. McGirr, Cecil A. Merrifield, Carl B. Morris, Arnold Murphy, Omer W. Nadeau, Robert A. Ouellette, Daniel C. Payson, Roland A. Remick, Antonio C. Remillard, Herbert L. Smith, Lawrence Susynski, Fred Trombley and Everett M. Wiggin.
Fogg said she has been asked to write a similar volume about the lives of the men from Vermont who are buried at Henri-Chapelle, and she's already begun her research.
Fogg's book can be found at Amazon.com and other online retailers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Community groups prepare for fallen Marine’s services - 0
- 'Forgotten War' veterans thanked for in Concord service - 0
- Wakefield man serves aboard USS Constitution - 0
- Bikers to remember the fallen - 0
- Six Flags tickets free to veterans - 0
- Forever Young Chorus at baseball stadium - 0
- Granite State to host Korean War ceremony - 0
- World War II vets from Hanover community turn back the clock - 0
- NH soldier will get Medal of Honor - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax