Gov. Hassan tours flood-struck areas
Gov. Maggie Hassan walks Dulac Street with Twin Pines Housing Trust Executive Director Andrew Winter last week as she toured flood devastated areas of the Upper Valley region. (MEGHAN PIERCE PHOTO)
Federal Emergency Management Agency officials, who started assessing flood damage Tuesday, are estimating more than $5 million in infrastructure damage in Grafton, Sullivan and Cheshire counties, said Perry Plummer, acting director of N.H. Homeland Security and Emergency Management. It is higher than state officials initially thought, he said.
As of Wednesday afternoon, FEMA officials were estimating the Grafton County damage would cost $3.4 million to repair, Sullivan was being assessed at $1 million in damages and Cheshire County at $1.4 million.
She also stopped in Claremont where flood damage was initially underestimated.
“I want to make sure we have a really good sense of what the problems are,” she said.
Hassan encouraged residents to report private property damage by calling 211, but said, it is unlikely the cost of the private damage will rise to the level that would release FEMA dollars.
If FEMA money is not released for private damage, the state’s disaster relief fund could be utilized, Hassan said.
The narrow culvert of a now defunct railroad bridge was blocked with debris two days before the floods, resident Rob Kingsbury said.
Since both culverts were cleared in the flood event the continued rain has not been an issue, he said.
Resident Medora Hebert asked when Route 63 would reopen. “It adds three miles to everybody’s trip. I don’t know how the state is going to be able to fix it. It is carved out so deeply,” she said.
Plummer assured the residents state officials were on top of the situation.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Reports: No major damage caused by latest mixed precipitation storm - 0
- Storm blasts state with messy mix - 0
- Rainy forecast forces Portsmouth to cancel Christmas parade; tree lighting still on - 0
- NHDOT: Snow, sleet causing no traffic problems on state's highways - 0
- Utilities tallying up the damage - 3
- Elliot Hospital serves dinner to those affected by power outages - 0
- Power outages down to final few - 2
- Lights, heat making slow return - 7
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads