Solar air heating system at UNH lauded for efficiency, cost-savings
Kingsbury Hall's south wing houses a number of laboratories with significant ventilation needs.
"Essentially we had all the right things we needed for a good test application," he said.
A Canadian-made system called the Lubi solar air system was applied over the existing roof wall, creating about 2,400-square feet of perforated plastic panels backed by a dark solar absorber, with a gap in between. During the heating season, the system is turned on and heated air collects in the pocket, and is sucked in through new duct work to the existing ventilation system.
This past fall, the university installed an air sampling system to constantly monitor air quality throughout Kingsbury, allowing them to significantly reduce ventilation demands.
The installation was not complete by the end of the last heating season, so testing will begin this winter to see how effective the system actually is.
O'Keefe said the technology has been around for decades, but is not widely used, and he is not sure why. He said it is really a "no-brainer" based on payback, efficiency, ease of installation, and low maintenance.
More information about the technology is available at shiftnrg.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua's Harbor Homes grows, changes - 0
- Colebrook and Berlin to get VA clinics - 0
- Job fair in Laconia attracts veterans and 39 employers - 0
- Salem couple's effort to honor Doolittle Tokyo Raiders is gaining momentum - 0
- Footwear drive to help Liberty House - 0
- Whitefield event honors Vietnam vets - 0
- Vietnam veterans remembered 50 years later in Londonderry - 0
- Post 27 events - 0
- NH soldiers share family bond — and Purple Hearts - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
- 'He is risen': 'As he said' - 0
- A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data - 0
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Defense has let Sox down so far - 0
- Good Friday message resonates inside walls of prison - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire