Solar air heating system at UNH lauded for efficiency, cost-savings
Kingsbury Hall's south wing houses a number of laboratories with significant ventilation needs.
"Essentially we had all the right things we needed for a good test application," he said.
A Canadian-made system called the Lubi solar air system was applied over the existing roof wall, creating about 2,400-square feet of perforated plastic panels backed by a dark solar absorber, with a gap in between. During the heating season, the system is turned on and heated air collects in the pocket, and is sucked in through new duct work to the existing ventilation system.
This past fall, the university installed an air sampling system to constantly monitor air quality throughout Kingsbury, allowing them to significantly reduce ventilation demands.
The installation was not complete by the end of the last heating season, so testing will begin this winter to see how effective the system actually is.
O'Keefe said the technology has been around for decades, but is not widely used, and he is not sure why. He said it is really a "no-brainer" based on payback, efficiency, ease of installation, and low maintenance.
More information about the technology is available at shiftnrg.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 2
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 43
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 37
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 10
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 71
- Race and policing: America has a problem - 0
- Strength in faith: Gaining it from Jim Foley's family - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you