Meadow Dam work close to completion
DERRY — Bad weather and unexpected damage have slowed down repairs to the Meadow Dam at Beaver Lake, but work could finally be completed by the end of next week.
“It’s been a long project, and we did not expect it to take this long, but there have been constraints due to the weather and the heavy rains,” said Mike Fowler, director of Public Works.
Work on the damaged dam began early in May, after the town filed a $3,000 reconstruction permit with the state.
Work included placing a second pump, removing the headwalls and excavating for a new concrete pad on the upstream side of the dam.
Fowler said the work also included building a 12-inch wall on the front face of the dam to tie into the concrete pad. To reinforce the steel, holes under the dam were fixed with a chemical grouting process to fill the voids with a concrete type of material.
The chemical grouting contractor was on site before July 4 and found fairly substantial voids in the concrete of the dam.
Although the contractor had enough material on hand to fill the voids, Fowler said it was more damage than they were expecting to see.
Fowler said American Excavating should be finishing up the last of the work on the dam early next week.
“We’re really getting close to closing out this project,” he said. “There is still some work left on the abutment on the Chester Road side of the dam.”
Fowler thanked the residents of Martha Drive and Sabra Circle for their patience during the project.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scholars from Across U.S. Gather at Plymouth State University's 35th Annual Medieval and Renaissance Forum April 25 and 26 - 0
- Former legendary Foreigner frontman Lou Gramm to perform - 1
- Granite State campuses leap into spring with April performances - 0
- Joan Osborne's new album beats with matters of the heart - 0
- Hood Museum of Art wields views of power, strength, artistry and ceremony with exhibition of African objects - 0
- Painters' works on view in Holderness - 0
- Stiletto Brass Quintet steps onto PSU's Silver Center Friday night - 0
- Milwaukee painter David Fleming shares work in Rochester showing - 0
- Emerging artists on display at Paul Creative Arts Center - 0
Win tickets to see Comedian Mike Birbiglia!
Hood Museum of Art wields views of power, strength, artistry and ceremony with exhibition of African objects
NH Easter Egg Hunts 2014
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH
School fights mascot battle