Meadow Dam work close to completion
DERRY — Bad weather and unexpected damage have slowed down repairs to the Meadow Dam at Beaver Lake, but work could finally be completed by the end of next week.
“It’s been a long project, and we did not expect it to take this long, but there have been constraints due to the weather and the heavy rains,” said Mike Fowler, director of Public Works.
Work on the damaged dam began early in May, after the town filed a $3,000 reconstruction permit with the state.
Work included placing a second pump, removing the headwalls and excavating for a new concrete pad on the upstream side of the dam.
Fowler said the work also included building a 12-inch wall on the front face of the dam to tie into the concrete pad. To reinforce the steel, holes under the dam were fixed with a chemical grouting process to fill the voids with a concrete type of material.
The chemical grouting contractor was on site before July 4 and found fairly substantial voids in the concrete of the dam.
Although the contractor had enough material on hand to fill the voids, Fowler said it was more damage than they were expecting to see.
Fowler said American Excavating should be finishing up the last of the work on the dam early next week.
“We’re really getting close to closing out this project,” he said. “There is still some work left on the abutment on the Chester Road side of the dam.”
Fowler thanked the residents of Martha Drive and Sabra Circle for their patience during the project.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Todd Oliver will take the stage as part of a Hanukkah show - 0
- 'Charlie Brown' jazz riffs take center stage - 0
- Concord Holiday Variety Show features jazz aces, comedian - 0
- Kristen Ford show at Blue Mermaid - 0
- Operetta draws on 'Las Posadas' festival, NH illustrator Tomie dePaola's works - 0
- Polar Express event chugs into Pelham Library tonight - 0
- 'Messiah Sing' rings out on Seacoast - 0
- Beach Boys to play Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom - 0
- Rock band Buckcherry plays Manchester Nighclub - 0
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
Enter to win tickets to see Arc Isis
Enter to win tickets to see Pirate School
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Police arrest pair after bullets fly