Meadow Dam work close to completion
DERRY — Bad weather and unexpected damage have slowed down repairs to the Meadow Dam at Beaver Lake, but work could finally be completed by the end of next week.
“It’s been a long project, and we did not expect it to take this long, but there have been constraints due to the weather and the heavy rains,” said Mike Fowler, director of Public Works.
Work on the damaged dam began early in May, after the town filed a $3,000 reconstruction permit with the state.
Work included placing a second pump, removing the headwalls and excavating for a new concrete pad on the upstream side of the dam.
Fowler said the work also included building a 12-inch wall on the front face of the dam to tie into the concrete pad. To reinforce the steel, holes under the dam were fixed with a chemical grouting process to fill the voids with a concrete type of material.
The chemical grouting contractor was on site before July 4 and found fairly substantial voids in the concrete of the dam.
Although the contractor had enough material on hand to fill the voids, Fowler said it was more damage than they were expecting to see.
Fowler said American Excavating should be finishing up the last of the work on the dam early next week.
“We’re really getting close to closing out this project,” he said. “There is still some work left on the abutment on the Chester Road side of the dam.”
Fowler thanked the residents of Martha Drive and Sabra Circle for their patience during the project.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Auburn native believes in faith and fashion - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers - 0
- Nova Scotia ferry departs Singapore - 0
- Win tickets to see Cheap Trick - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Crabapple trees great for wildlife in winter - 0
- Alex Preston makes top 10; with go on tour with 'American Idol' - 1
- Pinkerton contract defeat leads to talk of new school - 0
- Gaining independence back through adaptive skiing - 0
- Telling Your Family Story returns to Loeb School - 0
Win tickets to see Cheap Trick
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
Win tickets to see Rusted Root & The Wailers
Amherst ‘Idol’ is chasing his dream
Win tickets to see Craig Ferguson
Win tickets to see Bruno Mars!
Win tickets to see Cirque du Soleil: Varekai
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown announces exploratory committee for US Senate run
NH Supreme Court: Protecting police from liability more important than rights of man wrongly accused of rape
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity
14 people arrested in Nashua drug sweep