Home » Sports » Motor Sports
George Diaz: Morgan Shepherd's run at NASCAR history deserves an asterisk
NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Morgan Shepherd (89) heads to the garage during the Ford 300 at Homestead Miami Speedway in 2011. (Kevin Liles-USA TODAY Sports)
It would be neat to see an old guy who is 71 years old rolling with stars of the sport such as Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Tony Stewart, but that's not going to happen. Shepherd very likely will only make a cameo and last less than 50 laps.
So let's call this for what it is: A competitive sideshow.
NASCAR has always had a quirky affinity with lower-tier drivers running inferior equipment with underfunded teams. They are the "start-and-park" guys who show up at an event, qualify (if necessary) and then run a few laps before dropping out. They can still pick up a decent paycheck, the only point of an otherwise pointless endeavor.
For the longest time, he has survived on hand-me-downs from compassionate competitors in the garage and $20 donations from devoted fans.
Shepherd has no shot to win this weekend, no matter how he will be viewed in the annals of NASCAR history.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 12
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'