Both medalists hit the road in State Amateur Golf Championship match play
Portsmouth Country Club’s Joe Cooper and Nashua Country Club’s James Pleat, the tournament’s co-medalists after two rounds of stroke play, were each upset on the first day of match play.
Godbout, 17, needed to win a three-hole playoff Tuesday night to reach match play. He was 3-up after three holes and said he played the 14 holes in 2-under par.
“I felt like I might surprise him. I just wanted to play my best. I did just that and ended up beating him.”
Arvanitis, a Manchester resident who won this tournament in 2001, moved on by beating Stonebridge Country Club’s Dylan Evans, 4 and 3. Arvanitis had to recover from a poor start that left him 2-down after four holes.
The other past champions who advanced are Nashua Country Club’s Phil Pleat — James’ father — (1981, 1985 and 1997), Portsmouth Country Club’s Craig Steckowych (1990 and 1998), Canterbury Woods Country Club’s Jim Cilley (2011) and Atkinson Resort & Country Club’s Joe Leavitt (2012).
“You’d be hard-pressed to find another time when the one and the two lost on the first day of match play,” Larrivee said. “It’s one day at a time at this point.”
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Mile marker: Londonderry trail’s first step - 0
- Definitely broken: City's winter parking ban - 2
- What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out' - 26
- Closing classrooms: Relief for Webster, Beech Street schools in Manchester.? - 2
- Unwanted professors: How does one get fired at UNH? - 15
- Bumped for Benghazi: A reporter is held accountable - 3
- Dangerous Iran deal: Weakening sanctions is senseless - 2
- Freedom? Thanks for nothing, Obama - 83
- Christmas spirit: For whom do you shop? - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 1
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 1
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 12
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans