Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
New coach Stevens eases into Celtics job
On Monday, the Boston Celtics’ new head coach was an observer during his team’s game against Detroit in the NBA Summer Pro League at Amway Center. Boston won, 93-63.
“If I can make their job easier by learning the communication that’s already been used, that’s one person having to change instead of 15,” he said. “That’s one of the things I’m working on, and I’m just really sitting and listening right now, and it’s been great.”
In 2010 and 2011, Vanzant and Butler, under Stevens’ guidance, made back-to-back trips to the NCAA national championship game. Butler was considered a mid-major program before then, but Vanzant credits Stevens’ tenure with raising the national profile of the Indianapolis school.
Stevens, who played Division III basketball at DePauw University, said he’ll implement his own system closer to the beginning of the Celtics’ training camp.
Vanzant said he and Stevens texted back and forth a few days ago, shortly after his former coach accepted the Boston job. Stevens was interested to know what his former guard was up to, while Vanzant wished him luck at the NBA level.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celts win, take first place - 0
- Bucks snap skid at 11, top Celtics - 0
- Green, Celtics blow out Cavs - 0
- Celtics late rally falls short - 0
- Crawford, Celtics ease past Bobcats - 0
- Celtics top Hawks to halt six-game skid - 0
- Spurs top Celtics to extend win streak - 0
- Timberwolves hand Celtics third straight loss - 0
- Aldridge double-double sends Celtics to loss - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan