Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
New coach Stevens eases into Celtics job
On Monday, the Boston Celtics’ new head coach was an observer during his team’s game against Detroit in the NBA Summer Pro League at Amway Center. Boston won, 93-63.
“If I can make their job easier by learning the communication that’s already been used, that’s one person having to change instead of 15,” he said. “That’s one of the things I’m working on, and I’m just really sitting and listening right now, and it’s been great.”
In 2010 and 2011, Vanzant and Butler, under Stevens’ guidance, made back-to-back trips to the NCAA national championship game. Butler was considered a mid-major program before then, but Vanzant credits Stevens’ tenure with raising the national profile of the Indianapolis school.
Stevens, who played Division III basketball at DePauw University, said he’ll implement his own system closer to the beginning of the Celtics’ training camp.
Vanzant said he and Stevens texted back and forth a few days ago, shortly after his former coach accepted the Boston job. Stevens was interested to know what his former guard was up to, while Vanzant wished him luck at the NBA level.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson poised to win sixth Sprint Cup crown - 0
- Hamlin on pole for Sunday's Goody's 500 at Martinsville - 0
- Truck Series will return to Loudon Sept. 20 - 0
- McMurray winsat Talladega.; Jimmie Johnson takes Chase lead - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Ford Fall Brawl has plenty of big names - 0
- NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning - 2
- Brad Keselowski outduels Kasey Kahne to return to victory lane - 0
- Harvick takes Kansas; Kenseth’s Nascar Sprint Cup lead dented - 0
- Pines Speedway Reunion set in Groveland, Mass. - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl