Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox slam Seattle, 11-8
David Ortiz finished a triple shy of the cycle on a four-hit night and Jackie Bradley Jr. hit one of five home runs as Boston outslugged host Seattle.
Dustin Pedroia homered and drove in three, Mike Napoli added a two-run blast and Shane Victorino highlighted a three-run eighth with a solo shot for the Red Sox, who avoided a season-high fourth straight loss. Craig Breslow (3-2) worked a season-high 2 1/3 innings of scoreless relief to earn the win and Koji Uehara took care of the ninth for his sixth save.
Kendrys Morales homered twice and Brad Miller drove in four runs for the Mariners. All-Star Hisashi Iwakuma lasted only three innings and Blake Beavan (0-2) surrendered two runs in as many frames to absorb the loss.
Ortiz's homer in the second drew Boston to within 2-1 but Seattle pushed it to 5-1 in the bottom of that frame on Miller's bases-loaded double off Allen Webster. The Red Sox bounced right back with five runs in the third, getting two-run homers from Pedroia and Napoli and a sacrifice fly from Brock Holt.
Webster failed to hold that lead, and the Mariners tied it on Morales' second homer before taking a 7-6 lead on Michael Saunders' RBI triple. Pedroia's RBI single in the fourth tied it again and Bradley, who was called up before the game, put the Red Sox on top for good with a blast into the front row in right-center off Beavan in the fifth.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Iwakuma was charged with six runs on eight hits in the shortest start of his major-league career. Webster could not even make it that far and was lifted after allowing seven runs on six hits in 2 1/3 frames. … The Red Sox recalled Bradley Jr. and RHP Brandon Workman from Triple-A Pawtucket, placed RHP Alex Wilson (thumb) on the 15-day disabled list and optioned RHP Jose De La Torre to the minors. … Boston CF Jacoby Ellsbury missed his second straight game with a sore left wrist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson poised to win sixth Sprint Cup crown - 0
- Hamlin on pole for Sunday's Goody's 500 at Martinsville - 0
- Truck Series will return to Loudon Sept. 20 - 0
- McMurray winsat Talladega.; Jimmie Johnson takes Chase lead - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Ford Fall Brawl has plenty of big names - 0
- NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning - 2
- Brad Keselowski outduels Kasey Kahne to return to victory lane - 0
- Harvick takes Kansas; Kenseth’s Nascar Sprint Cup lead dented - 0
- Pines Speedway Reunion set in Groveland, Mass. - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 4
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans