Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox lose third straight, 11-4 at Seattle
Justin Smoak added three hits and two RBIs and Michael Saunders drove in three for the Mariners. Hernandez (9-4) allowed two runs and six hits to improve to 7-2 against the Red Sox in his career.
Jon Lester (8-5) lasted only five-plus innings and was charged with five runs on nine hits for Boston, which matched a season high with its third straight loss. David Ortiz collected two hits and Daniel Nava drove in a run for the Red Sox.
Seattle took a 2-0 lead on an RBI double from Smoak and Saunders' bases loaded walk as Lester struggled through the fourth inning. Boston got those runs right back in the top of the fifth on Nava's RBI single and a wild pitch that allowed Brock Holt to cross.
Ibanez led off the fifth and found himself down 0-2 when Lester left a cutter over the middle of the plate, and the veteran slugger belted it into the stands in right to put Seattle back on top. Ibanez added an RBI single in a three-run sixth while Smoak and Saunders each doubled in a run and scored in the four-run seventh to help the Mariners put it away.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Red Sox CF Jacoby Ellsbury (wrist) and RF Shane Victorino (hamstring) both missed the game, leaving Nava to make his first career start in center field. … Boston LHP Andrew Miller will need surgery to repair ligament damage in his left foot and is likely lost for the season. … Seattle designated RHP Jeremy Bonderman for assignment and recalled LHP Josh Luetge.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Beltran, Yankees make it official
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass