Tough luck for Locke in Monday Pirates loss
Unfortunately for Locke and the Pirates, A’s right-hander Bartolo Colon is an All-Star, too.
The loss snapped Locke’s eight-game winning streak, the best stretch by a Pirates lefty since Emil Yde won nine in a row in 1925. It also ended the Conway, N.H., native’s run of 16 straight starts without a loss, a franchise record.
On Saturday, Locke, 25, became a first-time All-Star when he was selected by National League manager Bruce Bochy. Colon, 40, is on the American League roster for the third time in his 16-year career.
Lowrie went to third base on a wild pitch. The throw from catcher Russell Martin was there in plenty of time, but Pedro Alvarez missed with a swipe tag. Lowrie scored on Josh Donaldson’s sacrifice fly to center field.
The crowd of 23,743, not realizing Alvarez whiffed on the tag, booed third base umpire Scott Barry as Lowrie ran to the plate.
Lowrie and Donaldson began the inning with back-to-back singles. Consecutive two-out walks to Chris Young and Derek Norris forced in a run.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson poised to win sixth Sprint Cup crown - 0
- Hamlin on pole for Sunday's Goody's 500 at Martinsville - 0
- Truck Series will return to Loudon Sept. 20 - 0
- McMurray winsat Talladega.; Jimmie Johnson takes Chase lead - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Ford Fall Brawl has plenty of big names - 0
- NHMS gets Sprint Cup schedule; trucks returning - 2
- Brad Keselowski outduels Kasey Kahne to return to victory lane - 0
- Harvick takes Kansas; Kenseth’s Nascar Sprint Cup lead dented - 0
- Pines Speedway Reunion set in Groveland, Mass. - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man faces DWI charge following crash - 0
- FBI 'concerned' for Hernandez - 0
- Officials will share new information about missing Conway teen - 1
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 1
- Fire scene closes Goffstown's Paige Hill Road - 0
- Gas tax increase would be tied to consumer price index - 7
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 6
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Manchester gas station burglarized - 0
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans