Tough luck for Locke in Monday Pirates loss
Unfortunately for Locke and the Pirates, A’s right-hander Bartolo Colon is an All-Star, too.
The loss snapped Locke’s eight-game winning streak, the best stretch by a Pirates lefty since Emil Yde won nine in a row in 1925. It also ended the Conway, N.H., native’s run of 16 straight starts without a loss, a franchise record.
On Saturday, Locke, 25, became a first-time All-Star when he was selected by National League manager Bruce Bochy. Colon, 40, is on the American League roster for the third time in his 16-year career.
Lowrie went to third base on a wild pitch. The throw from catcher Russell Martin was there in plenty of time, but Pedro Alvarez missed with a swipe tag. Lowrie scored on Josh Donaldson’s sacrifice fly to center field.
The crowd of 23,743, not realizing Alvarez whiffed on the tag, booed third base umpire Scott Barry as Lowrie ran to the plate.
Lowrie and Donaldson began the inning with back-to-back singles. Consecutive two-out walks to Chris Young and Derek Norris forced in a run.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Parents share what makes Abigail a special girl - 1
- Abigail's mother speaks of hope on ABC's Good Morning America - 0
- South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies at 95 - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 10
- Charitable organizations raise money, and lift spirits with Christmas tree sales - 0
- Holiday edition reminder to our readers - 1
- 600 gather for New Horizons soup kitchen, shelter fundraiser - 0
- Conn. school shooting probe ends with gunman's motives unknown - 43
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Firefighters respond to fire at Somersworth home - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child