Drownings lead to plea for extreme caution on NH rivers
The third drowning victim was a Massachusetts resident who died while swimming in Country Pond in Newton.
Daron Graham, 20, had been missing since Saturday afternoon.
On Sunday, an 18-year-old resident of Boston's Mattapan section died in a Massachusetts hospital after being pulled from Country Pond in Newton, near the town beach.
Initial reports were that the Newton drowning victim was from Manchester.
The New Hampshire Marine Patrol issued a warning Sunday asking people to exercise extreme caution on rivers. Anyone paddling a kayak or canoe should wear a life jacket or other personal flotation device; life jackets also should be worn when tubing, according to the Marine Patrol.
Rainfall during the first weeks of the summer vacation season has been dramatically higher than normal, according to meteorologist John Cannon of the National Weather Service.
A Concord woman was rescued from the Winnipesaukee River on Saturday after she got in trouble tubing along the river, authorities said. On Thursday afternoon, five people were involved in a tube-rafting incident at Livermore Falls on the Pemigewasset River and had to be rescued.
"Livermore Falls is always dangerous, but particularly so lately," Halm said. "It's not a place where even expert kayakers are safe."
In Lebanon, crews continued to work on repairing flash flood damage caused by the severe rain event that hit the city last Monday and Tuesday. Damage is expected to exceed $2 million.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weekend Top 10 Planner - 0
- Thank a Landowner Today - 0
- Registration Open for Free Winter Indoor Archery Leagues - Holderness - 0
- Amherst ready to celebrate season with tree lighting Friday - 0
- Bedford girl who loved ballet loses cancer battle - 0
- Bethlehem students prepare Trees for Troops - 0
- New Hampshire's most iconic entertainment venue keeps the pedal to the medal. - 0
- North Country’s former longtime Union Leader news carrier dies - 0
- Londonderry officials: Tree stands on conservation land are troubling - 20
Thank a Landowner Today
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up