Drownings lead to plea for extreme caution on NH rivers
The third drowning victim was a Massachusetts resident who died while swimming in Country Pond in Newton.
Daron Graham, 20, had been missing since Saturday afternoon.
On Sunday, an 18-year-old resident of Boston's Mattapan section died in a Massachusetts hospital after being pulled from Country Pond in Newton, near the town beach.
Initial reports were that the Newton drowning victim was from Manchester.
The New Hampshire Marine Patrol issued a warning Sunday asking people to exercise extreme caution on rivers. Anyone paddling a kayak or canoe should wear a life jacket or other personal flotation device; life jackets also should be worn when tubing, according to the Marine Patrol.
Rainfall during the first weeks of the summer vacation season has been dramatically higher than normal, according to meteorologist John Cannon of the National Weather Service.
A Concord woman was rescued from the Winnipesaukee River on Saturday after she got in trouble tubing along the river, authorities said. On Thursday afternoon, five people were involved in a tube-rafting incident at Livermore Falls on the Pemigewasset River and had to be rescued.
"Livermore Falls is always dangerous, but particularly so lately," Halm said. "It's not a place where even expert kayakers are safe."
In Lebanon, crews continued to work on repairing flash flood damage caused by the severe rain event that hit the city last Monday and Tuesday. Damage is expected to exceed $2 million.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.