Drownings lead to plea for extreme caution on NH rivers
The third drowning victim was a Massachusetts resident who died while swimming in Country Pond in Newton.
Daron Graham, 20, had been missing since Saturday afternoon.
On Sunday, an 18-year-old resident of Boston's Mattapan section died in a Massachusetts hospital after being pulled from Country Pond in Newton, near the town beach.
Initial reports were that the Newton drowning victim was from Manchester.
The New Hampshire Marine Patrol issued a warning Sunday asking people to exercise extreme caution on rivers. Anyone paddling a kayak or canoe should wear a life jacket or other personal flotation device; life jackets also should be worn when tubing, according to the Marine Patrol.
Rainfall during the first weeks of the summer vacation season has been dramatically higher than normal, according to meteorologist John Cannon of the National Weather Service.
A Concord woman was rescued from the Winnipesaukee River on Saturday after she got in trouble tubing along the river, authorities said. On Thursday afternoon, five people were involved in a tube-rafting incident at Livermore Falls on the Pemigewasset River and had to be rescued.
"Livermore Falls is always dangerous, but particularly so lately," Halm said. "It's not a place where even expert kayakers are safe."
In Lebanon, crews continued to work on repairing flash flood damage caused by the severe rain event that hit the city last Monday and Tuesday. Damage is expected to exceed $2 million.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Fond memories of helping 'Gramp' search for Grandmother Cole's Christmas tree - 0
- New Hampshire Audubon's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Freemasons award Raymond selectman for service to town - 0
- Hooksett residents had few kind words for town in survey - 1
- For those in need, New Horizons greenhouse changes everything - 0
- Dartmouth professor names 5 fun, creative stocking stuffers - 0
- Skiing and snowboarding are the tip of the resort iceberg at Bretton Woods - 0
- 'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge - 0
- Josh Logan at British Beer Company - 1
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Fond memories of helping 'Gramp' search for Grandmother Cole's Christmas tree
New Hampshire Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Drug addicts driving spike in robberies
Money raised for dog hit by snow plow
Dunbarton nixes man's poultry plan
Popular West High School official moved