Drownings lead to plea for extreme caution on NH rivers
The third drowning victim was a Massachusetts resident who died while swimming in Country Pond in Newton.
Daron Graham, 20, had been missing since Saturday afternoon.
On Sunday, an 18-year-old resident of Boston's Mattapan section died in a Massachusetts hospital after being pulled from Country Pond in Newton, near the town beach.
Initial reports were that the Newton drowning victim was from Manchester.
The New Hampshire Marine Patrol issued a warning Sunday asking people to exercise extreme caution on rivers. Anyone paddling a kayak or canoe should wear a life jacket or other personal flotation device; life jackets also should be worn when tubing, according to the Marine Patrol.
Rainfall during the first weeks of the summer vacation season has been dramatically higher than normal, according to meteorologist John Cannon of the National Weather Service.
A Concord woman was rescued from the Winnipesaukee River on Saturday after she got in trouble tubing along the river, authorities said. On Thursday afternoon, five people were involved in a tube-rafting incident at Livermore Falls on the Pemigewasset River and had to be rescued.
"Livermore Falls is always dangerous, but particularly so lately," Halm said. "It's not a place where even expert kayakers are safe."
In Lebanon, crews continued to work on repairing flash flood damage caused by the severe rain event that hit the city last Monday and Tuesday. Damage is expected to exceed $2 million.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Online outdoor guide hits snag in funding - 0
- Candlelight vigil set for homeless - 0
- Memorial planned for longtime director at Cranmore Mountain - 0
- Volunteers sought to wrap gifts for youths - 0
- The rise of the snowmen - 0
- Mega Millions helping many dream of a green Christmas - 7
- Youth's light show is bright but donations are down in Dover - 0
- Public to get more information on $74 million Salem High School project - 0
- Cranmore to Host Memorial for Jimmy Mersereau - 0
Proposed Hess gas station draws questions
Candlelight vigil set for homeless
Online outdoor guide hits snag in funding
Volunteers sought to wrap gifts for youths
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Bedford Village Inn plans to add new hotel
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan